Sunday, February 24, 2013

Words - Reflections on their Power

I spent my morning journaling about words spoken to and about me by some primary authority figures in my early life and came to the following conclusions:

  1. My confidence is born out of encouraging words from those authority figures.
  2. My negative beginnings end with rebuilding, restoring, compassion and healing; evidence of God's hand in countering pain in my life.
  3. My grand mother was my primary source of love, encouragement and self-worth; she also defined my role-model for womanhood.
  4. Most of the damage I received through words originated from those in authority over me.
Bottom line: I have the power to hurt and the power to encourage those around me, especially as a grand mother and a leader.When I speak to my grand daughter, the words I choose will ripple into her future; if they are encouraging words, her future can be impacted for the good. When I speak to those I lead, I have the ability to strengthen and encourage them with the words I choose.

I will admit this is a skewed perspective in that mine is the only experience examined; I would enjoy hearing of the experience others have had in respect to the impact words from authority figures have had on their lives...

No comments:

Post a Comment