Thursday, March 28, 2013

Marriage



Marriage

When I met my wife Rebecca the church that I was going to (a non-denominational church) would not marry us.  According them, because we were living together, we were living in sin and we were setting a terrible example for Rebecca’s children and they would not condone it.  Later we went to Rebecca’s old church in Hampton, Va and the did marry us.  They by the way were a Presbyterian church.  My parents were also a little leery, I was 25 or so and Rebecca was 35 and she had two children and I had none.  I was Rebecca’s fourth husband but she was my first wife.  I knew that I loved Rebecca and I was quite sure that she loved me too.  Ours was a relationship that was odd to most, obscene to some, and just fine to others.

Looking back, my first girlfriend was a classmate from Tabb Elementary School.  She was beautiful, she had long dark hair and a beautiful smile.  He name was Trisha and she was a young black girl from a different part of town than what I was from.  I asked my grandma if she could come over one day and she was excited to meet this girl that I had spoken of so much.  As soon as my grandma laid eyes on Trisha I knew that something was wrong.  We played for the afternoon and I took Trisha out on to the pier at the end of the street and we fished and swam all day in the York River.  It was a great day.  After Trisha went home grandma pulled me aside and told me that if I brought another nigger to her house then I would be asked to leave right along with her.  I grew up in the South; I had heard the “n” word before but never out of her mouth.  I was shocked and angry.

I continued to date Trisha but as with most elementary school romances it eventually eroded.  My point is that I took a lot of flack for dating a woman of color, and I have since.  However, today mixed relationships are common place.  Mixed families are common place.  

There are many things that I do not know about gay marriage.  But there are some things that I do know.  I am not gay and I know for a fact that almost every gay person I know would not wish homosexuality on their worst enemy.  It is a difficult life to say the least.  While some people are gay because of past abuses, others are gay to make a statement and still others are gay because they were simply born that way.  Who am I to say who is gay or straight for what reason?  Why someone is gay is entirely their business and their choice.

Let me be clear about something.  I am a Christian to the core.  I love God and I truly believe that He loves me and everyone else for that matter.  But I must say that gay marriage should not be a polarizing issue.  If two people want to get married then by all means let them.  Marriage is not a religious institution.  Prior to someone being allowed to marry a couple, the must be given permission by the state, the Church has nothing to do with it.  You have to get a license to get married; it has nothing to do with the Church.  My personal beliefs are irrelevant when it comes to who should be with whom.  I am sure that the folks that were taking slaves from the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Hattie never imagined that us whites would be marrying them a hundred years later.   

 So often we inject the Church into scenarios where it has no right being.  We end up using the Church as a tool to accept some and reject others.  Jesus said clearly that “I came so everyone could have everlasting life.”  Not straight white males or rich white women.  Not just a proud black woman or a protective black father.  Everyone means everyone, at least the last time I checked it did.

If you were to ask me, do I like women?  I would answer with a resounding YES!  If you asked me why, I would say that I was born that way.  I have no control over my preference.  Just as I have no control over my love for fried chicken and carrot cake.  I can however choose not to over indulge, though I rarely do. I was just born that way.  All of my gay friends would say the same thing.  They were born that way.  

America is a place of freedom.  Freedom from the pressures of religion, sect, race or any other imaginary boundaries we can come up with.  God honors free choice.  As a matter of fact all other commandments in the New Testament are based on the law of free will.  If God honors free will, then who in the hell are we to dishonor it?  Without free will we are nothing.  We cannot choose to love without free will.  We cannot choose to be kind without free will.  We cannot choose to be accepting without free will.  If it weren’t for free will we would be robots that cannot think for ourselves.  God never intended us to be robots.  He has however called us to be kind, loving and accepting of those around us for His sake.  

So, while I see our country shaken to its core as the issue of same sex marriage becomes more and more of a hot topic, remember, ours is an evolving culture.  America is a melting pot of races, religions, lifestyles and languages.  While some would say that this is our greatest weakness, I say it is our greatest strength.  Honor free will for those around us, the same way the God honors it for you.

By Pat Caudill Jr
3/228/2013
               

No comments:

Post a Comment